Wednesday, October 14, 2015

My First Cub Hero Adolfo Phillips


I became a Cubs fan in 1968 in Bridgeport, Connecticut. I don't know why, it just made me different. I was told as a kid I had to be a Mets or Yankees fan but I said screw that. I picked the Cubs as my team for the sole reason that  I liked Adolfo Phillips' 1967 baseball card.

The Cubs acquired Phillips in April of 1966 from the Phillies with future Hall Of Fame pitcher Fergie Jenkins for washed up pitchers Bob Buhl and Larry Jackson. The Cubs always seem to get bashed for the Lou Brock trade but nobody mentions the Adolfo Phillips/Fergie Jenkins deal. 

Phillips' best year with the Cubs was 1967, when he hit .268 with 17 and 70 RBI's (he was sort of a Dexter Fowler type player.) Phillips was traded in 1969 with old "tomato face" Jack Lamabe for the great Paul Popovich (Glenn Beckert's sub in doubleheaders.!)


No comments:

Post a Comment